Just last week the new Minister of Public Works, Mr. Gyude Moore, confidently told the Daily Observer that the road projects, especially those of the Red Light to Gbarnga and Gbarnga to Ganta, were on stream and that two reputable Chinese companies were doing the work.But last Friday our Bong County Correspondent Marcus Malayea sent the grim report that a serious crack had been discovered in the crucial Konola Bridge near the border linking Margibi and Bong counties. Correspondent Malayea interviewed the Chinese contractor, CICO, to find out what had happened. They told him that the bridge was 51 years old and that they had recently repaired it; but it had been damaged by heavy trucks that exceeded the prescribed 50 tons. However, the contractors said they would soon repair the bridge again.Being 51 years old, the bridge was clearly not built by the Chinese, who were nowhere around in 1964. In fact, that was during the Tubman era, when Liberia maintained diplomatic relations with the Republic of China, commonly known as Taiwan. So CICO is not responsible for the bridge’s current condition, though the company did in fact recently repair it as part of its ongoing contract. We suggest that the Public Works Ministry undertake a complete reassessment of that bridge, to determine whether it needs reinforcement and for how long, or whether to demolish it and build an entirely new, reinforced one, that will be able to withstand the heaviest of trucks. This will undoubtedly call for substantial new financial resources. But the government has no choice but to make an urgent decision on what to do about this bridge, because it lies smack in the middle of the highway from Paynesville Red Light to Gbarnga. This is the only corridor leading to Central and Western Liberia which comprise the nation’s breadbaskets—Bong, Lofa and Nimba counties; and Southeastern Liberia, through which a lot of agricultural produce passes en route to Monrovia. So this highway is indispensable to travel to and from the Liberian hinterland.There is yet another major bridge that must be rebuilt. It is the bridge that is closest to the Margibi-Bong border. A temporary steel bridge was erected there by UNMIL forces to facilitate the free flow of travel after Charles Taylor’s National Patriotic Front of Liberia (NPFL) bombed the concrete structure during the civil war. This was the beginning of the notorious Taylor’s destruction of Liberia’s infrastructure that threw the country 50 years backward. But Taylor was not alone in the hateful and vicious destruction of Liberia. Several other warring factions joined in the deliberate, destructive assault on the country they call their motherland. These included Alhaji Kromah’s ULIMO that destroyed almost everything in sight in Lofa County, including the Lutheran-built Currans Memorial Hospital in Zorzor, and the Lutheran Training Institute in Salayea, both in Lofa County.This is a political subdivision which Alhaji Kromah claims is his own county. He claims he hails from Kolahun. Three times ULIMO bombed the hospital and school and three times Dr. Walter Gwenigale, a Lutheran- trained surgeon and medical director of Suakoko’s Phebe Hospital, had to raise funds from European and American Lutheran and other sources to renovate these institutions. Phebe, too, was bombed three times by NPFL and other warring factions and Dr. Gwenigale had to plead with the same sources to help him rebuild it.The foregoing is just a little piece of history to remind these warlords of the grave damage they and their supporters did to their so-called motherland. It is the bombed bridge at the Margibi-Bong border that is being rebuilt. We have reliably learnt that a new bridge is in the CICO contract, because the temporary steel bridge built by UNMIL cannot be relied on for much longer. We trust that what we have said about this aspect of our deliberately destroyed infrastructure will serve as a reminder to those wishing for more trouble in Liberia. More trouble and instability are very COSTLY.By the same token, we make an urgent appeal to all those in or near power in Liberia to realize that honesty and integrity on their part will save us from more trouble, which we most certainly do not need any more of. A hint to the wise is quite sufficient. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Prince Headley of the Mabura township in Region 10 was last Tuesday arraigned before Linden Magistrate Clive Nurse on a charge of unlawfully and maliciously wounding George Summers on March 29, 2018 at Mabura.Headley is being represented by Attorney Rene McDonald, who made application for bail for his client on ground that the 58-year-old farmer and father of 7 is hypertensive and diabetic and needs regular medical attention.Several witnesses who were expected to testify in the matter on Tuesday did not show up, causing a frustrated Magistrate Nurse to express that the court is weary of the excuses of Police witnesses not attending court.The court heard that the accused had previously been granted bail, which was later revoked after he had failed to attend court. The magistrate thus denied the application for bail, advising the attorney that the decision can be appealed at the High Court.The accused is scheduled to return to court on June 19.
1 Switzerland star Breel Embolo in action On Thursday afternoon, more Manchester United transfer reports came out, this time linking them with a move for Breel Embolo.The Swiss youngster, 19, is highly-rated having impressed with Basel and will be representing his nation at Euro 2016.Tottenham had been interested in the player but now it’s the Red Devils being connected to the forward in his homeland.So how are fans reacting to the latest speculation? See what Manchester United supporters had to say on Twitter below…
Moussa Dembele has been blasted by Celtic supporters after calling himself the ‘King of Glasgow’ in a farewell message.Dembele, the forward, posted the letter on Twitter after completing a deadline day move to Lyon for £20million.He left Parkhead after two years in acrimonious circumstances, having reportedly refused to train with the Hoops as he looked to push through a move late in the transfer window.The 22-year-old eventually secured the move he desired, and to try and smooth the waters after leaving, he posted the heartfelt message directed at Celtic fans. pic.twitter.com/mROtRTBHfK— Moussa Dembélé (@MDembele_10) September 1, 2018Dembele admitted Celtic ‘will always have a special place in my heart’, while saying the moment he and the fans fell in love was when he netted a hat-trick in a 5-1 demolition of Celtic two years ago.However, the forward provoked the ire of the Celtic support by signing off the letter ‘Moussa AKA Big Mouss AKA The King of Glasgow AKA Dembelition’.Titling himself the ‘King of Glasgow’ did not go down well with the Parkhead faithful, especially considering Dembele all but forced a move away from the club, and fans took to Twitter to blast Dembele for his ostentatious move.
Tags: Arnold KatabiCathy TwesigyeNBL 2019topTusker LiteUganda Breweries LTD NBL’s Cathy Twesigye (extreme left) and FUBA’s Arnold Katabi shake hands on Tuesday. (PHOTOS/FUBA)KAMPALA – Uganda Breweries Limited (UBL), through their brand-Tusker Lite have entered a three year partnership with the FUBA National Basketball League.The Premium beer brand which has in the past sponsored the League playoffs, have decided to inject a sum of UGX 300m in the whole season.The partnership which will run from 2019 to 2022 was announced on Tuesday morning at a press conference held at the Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC) offices in Lugogo.“As FUBA on behalf of the Ugandan basketball fraternity, we are very pleased to be partnering with a premium brand on a long-term basis, said FUBA Vice President Marketing, Media and Publicity, Arnold Katabi.“We would like to extend our sincere gratitude towards the Tusker Lite brand for the sponsorship. We believe that the sponsorship will go a long way in making basketball in Uganda better and bring a lot more to the fans of the game.FUBA and UBL officials pose for a photo at Lugogo on Tuesday.UBL’s Cathy Twesigye described the partnership as “natural” pointing to the fact that basketball brings friends together to enjoy fun moments which, she said, are incomplete without a cold Tusker Lite.She also noted that their (UBL) coming on board as a main sponsor for the regular season after years of sponsoring the playoffs was a statement of the brand’s commitment to supporting basketball in Uganda.“This sponsorship is a reaffirmation of our faith in the National Basketball League and our desire to help the sport grow, while bringing friends together to enjoy fun moments, which is what our brand is really about, said Twesigye.This Wednesday will be the first week of action with Tusker Lite as league sponsors as MUK Sparks take on YMCA lady hamsters and for men’s fixtures, the six time defending champions City Oil are playing JKL Dolphins at the Lugogo Indoor Stadium.The regular season of the FUBA National Basketball League tipped off on April 12, 2019 with the first round slated to end on June 5, 2019.The basketball league has established itself as one of the top most professional leagues in Uganda serving scintillating action in the regular season and playoffs alike. City Oilers are the NBL defending champions, and have won the last six titles.Comments
Arcata >> It wasn’t too often last season that the reigning Humboldt-Del Norte League Big 5 champions, the Arcata Tigers, were truly tested.After a 6-0 blowout win over Clear Lake on Friday, Arcata faced its first exam of the young season in the form of a disciplined and aggressive Middletown Mustangs team — and they passed the first test.Arcata (2-0 overall) got early goals from Faith Schneider-Reuter and Hailey Dawson and added a late insurance goal off the foot of Emily Ramirez to beat …
Beauty Box Video skin retouching plugin gives your actor or model an incredible makeover in post-production by incorporating state-of-the-art face detection and smoothing algorithms. This video plugin automatically identifies the skin tones and remove imperfections, while leaving important facial details sharp.Editors and artists no longer have to manually create masks or retouch frame by frame. Whether it is used for a feature film, music video or a corporate talking head, Beauty Box Video is a powerful tool for any production that requires people to look their best.Download a free trial and see the results for yourself.Premiumbeat customers can save $50 through August 30th by going to the Digital Anarchy Store and using this coupon code: PREMIUMBEAUTY Win a copy of Beauty Box – a powerful skin smoothing and retouching plugin for photo and video editing!UPDATE: THE CONTEST HAS NOW ENDED. Thanks to all who entered.Please follow us on Twitter and Facebook for info on future giveaways!More info on Beauty Box and $50 off!Take years off your talent by applying the Beauty Box plugin from Digital Anarchy! The popular plugin comes in to two versions that run inside popular editing applications.Photographers can use Beauty Box Photo with their current workflow inside Photoshop – $99.Video editors can run Beauty Box Video within After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Avid or Sony Vegas – $199.I’ve personally used Beauty Box for several years and it has become an indispensable plugin in my editing toolkit. Clients are always impressed with the result – especially useful for commercials, corporate talking heads or wedding photos/videos.Beauty Box makes retouching photos or video a fast, painless process.Beauty Box uses advanced face detection to create an automatic, traveling matte.The matte keeps details like teeth, hair, and eyelashes razor sharp while just smoothing skin.State of the art smoothing algorithms allow you to easily get rid of wrinkles and blemishes.A simple workflow means you can get the work done fast.Powerful algorithms means the work looks great!GPU acceleration makes renders go quickly.New in 2.0 is Shine Removal, allowing you to deal with skin hot spots caused by lights.
New Delhi, Jul 19 (PTI) Applications for joining the army are obtained before hand and this practice has helped in controlling the rush which in the past has even resulted in lathicharge or use of tear gas, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Rajya Sabha today. From last year, the army has begun inviting online applications which has helped in conducting the recruitment in more organised manner, he said while replying to questions. Parrikar said in the past, there have been instances of a large number of applicants turning up and as a result, the situation used to become difficult to control and lathicharge, tear gas etc had to be resorted to. He said all districts of the coutry are covered in these recruitment rallies. Some members expressed concern that there could be areas where people dont have extensive facilities for online registration. To this, Parrikar said in case they provide him specific details, he can explore possibility of providing offline registration as well. Parrikar was speaking about a question on recruitment rallies in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh responding to which he said it is ensured that all districts in the country are covered atleast once every year. PTI ADS AKK
Australian players will not travel to Bangladesh for a two-Test tour starting this month until the pay dispute between them and the sport’s national governing body is resolved, captain Steve Smith said on Tuesday.The Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) and Cricket Australia’s (CA) have failed to resolve a long-running pay dispute that has left around 230 players effectively unemployed after the previous five-year agreement expired in June.The Australia A team boycotted their South Africa tour in July after a new Memorandum of Understanding could not be agreed and Smith says the senior team will skip the Bangladesh tour, which is scheduled to start on August 27.”I’d like to, but as we’ve said for a long time we need to get the deal done first,” Smith told Fox Sports.”I don’t think it would be fair for us to go away after the (Australia) A guys were very strong on not going away on their tour, for us to then go away I don’t think that’s fair.”CA know this, they’ve been told this. I told (CA’s Executive General Manager Team Performance) Pat Howard personally that this was how things were going to be if there wasn’t a deal done.”The dispute revolves around CA’s scrapping of the two-decade-old revenue share model, by which players get a fixed share of the organisation’s annual revenue, in the new pay deal. Local media reported that CA is on the verge of an agreement with the players’ union and Smith remained hopeful that a solution would be found.advertisement”It’s had some difficult moments,” the 28-year-old said.”When this is all over with, I have to deal with Pat Howard, I have to deal with the (CA) Board and speak to (CA chief executive) James Sutherland so I have to be careful with what sort of lines I tread.”Talking to the two parties and trying to figure out what each of them want and the best way forward. It’s been a long process and hopefully it comes to a close soon.”Sutherland said last week that his organisation would take the pay dispute to arbitration if a resolution was not found by this week.
TORONTO — David Ortiz hit the 452nd and 453rd home runs of his career to move past Boston great Carl Yastrzemski into 36th place on the all-time list as the Red Sox won their fifth straight game July 21st with a resounding 14-1 win over the Toronto Blue Jays.Ortiz matched Yastrzemski with a two-run blast to center off left-hander Brad Mills in the fourth, then broke the short-lived tie with another two-run shot off Mills in the fifth, his 21st and 22nd homers of the season.It was the third multi-homer game of the season for Ortiz and the 44th of his career.Mike Napoli followed Ortiz’s second shot with his 12th homer, the fourth time this season Boston has gone back-to-back.TweetPinShare0 Shares