Commuters are now traversing the Good Hope Bridge, on the East Coast of Demerara which was reopened officially on Saturday afternoon, despite not being fully completed.The Bridge is expected to reduce traffic congestion on the East Coast Highway, popularly referred to as the ‘road top’.In a statement issued by the Public Infrastructure Ministry, it was related that the Bridge was “95 per cent completed with a few minor works to be done”.The Bridge was under construction for almost three weeks. Commuters were forced to use the highway, which remains under construction, thereby creating a major issue.The rehabilitation of the Bridge began earlier this month. The contract was awarded to BK International and saw some $23.5 million being expended to cover the total costs.The project saw the demolition of the old Acrow Panel structure and construction of a concrete one.Coordinator of Works, Geoffrey Vaughn noted, “When we change from the Acrow Panel bridges to the free stress concrete bridges, there is no disruption to traffic, no maintenance issues, and everything flows smoothly. We don’t expect to have any problems with the Bridge in the near future.”It was also explained that the Good Hope Bridge, along with the Annandale and Lusignan Bridges, should have been rehabilitated since last year, but there were challenges with regard to the traffic.“We thought it best not to run all three bridges at the same time, because of traffic issues with the construction of the other two; but because they were in an area where there were more access points to leave and enter the railway embankment [road], the traffic burden wasn’t felt much by the driving public. But because of the location of this bridge, there seems to be a greater impact on traffic,” Vaughn added.
…jailed for 28 yearsColvin Norton was on Tuesday found guilty by a 12-member jury on two counts of raping a six-year-old girl, whom he attempted to silence with death threats. The 24-year-old man was jailed for a total of 28 years by Justice Jo-Ann Barlow at the Sexual Offences Court for illegals acts which occurred August 1, 2013, and just five days after on August 6, 2013 in the county of Demerara.Jailed: Convicted child rapist, Colvin NortonFor the first count, he was sentenced to 24 years but on the second count, the Judge added four extra years for aggravation, thereby sentencing him to 28 years. In fact, during the trial the court heard that Norton was caught in the act by the child’s mother on the second occasion.It was revealed that after he sexually penetrated the young child, he told her not to tell anyone as her mother would not believe her. The jury also considered that Norton later threatened the girl that if she told, he would kill both her and her mother.In the child’s impact statement read out by her court support, Celeste Mullen of ChildLink Guyana Inc, stated that the child still has flashbacks to the time the incident occurred. Mullen also said she was so affected by Norton’s actions that even her grades started to slip at school.“At first I felt sad and ashamed. After the incident, I felt that I was the cause of what happened…I deserve me innocence, I thought I was the only child in the world who had something like this happen but I later learned that this was not so. I am not so ashamed now as I know that Colvin Norton is being punished,” the girl who is a few years shy of being a teenager expressed.Before Justice Barlow considered sentencing, the court inquired twice of the defendant if he had anything to add following the jury’s verdict. He however stated that he didn’t really know what to say at that moment. Later on, he did not offer any comment in mitigation. The Judge took into account that Norton was 19 years old at the time of the offences but stressed that it still was not an excuse for raping the child.Justice Barlow considered that the offender breached the trust of the child’s mother who had entrusted him to care for not only the six-year old but others as well.“Like a thief in the night, you violated a six-year-old,” the Judge remarked.She also pointed out that Norton trying to silence the victim showed his total disregard for proper moral values. The Judge further noted that sexual offenders have issues with controlling their emotions and ordered that Norton undergo treatment under the sexual offender’s rehabilitation programme. She added that he should also take on programmes to improve his literacy. She also expressed hope for the child to continue receiving counselling.Norton will be 52 years old before he is allowed to return to society. He was unrepresented as reports indicated that he could not afford the services of an attorney. State Prosecutors in this matter were Abigail Gibbs, Tiffini Lyken and Narissa Leander. (Shemuel Fanfair)
A letter sent to the Dawson Creek Daily News purporting to be from a pipeline bomber in northeastern B.C. says the attacks will “get a lot worse” if the company doesn’t start pulling out of the area within three months.The newspaper reports that the two-page letter, which it received on Wednesday but held off releasing until today, promises a “summer vacation” free of attacks.But the hand-written note says that will change if EnCana hasn’t announced a plan by the fall to pull out of the area within five years. According to CKNW the letter says EnCana has 3 months to phase out operations in northeastern BC or bombings will get worse.- Advertisement -Several media outlets received a letter last October after the first of six attacks, including two this month.The latest letter doesn’t specify the exact area EnCana must leave, but it does mention a gas plant in the Kelly Lake area.The RCMP’s anti-terrorism unit has been investigating the bombings and plans to hold a news conference later today.Advertisement
5. A Fast Jet gained the lead from the start and held it all the way to defeat maiden opponents by 3/4 length. Cuttencocktail had the lead all the way to score by a half length at 1-2 odds. First Money Missile ran third against better runners. Long shot: Familys Fortune. 6. Sailin For Cash led early, but was third most of the way and drops in class. Keenwood broke through the gate prior to the start and then showed little in finishing sixth. Bankas Brat didn’t keep up at the end and settled for sixth against better opposition. Long shot: Corona Secret. 7. Docs First Cartel was sixth in a stakes event and will do better against these rivals. Not A Full Moon returns to Los Alamitos after winning two races in Turf Paradise, including a futurity the last time. Chick N Dales Dancer won a futurity at Portland Meadows. Long shot: Be Warned. 8. Dreams Can Fly put on the pressure while running a close second throughout and lost by a neck. La Dominica was in front all the way before being passed by two rivals at the end. Hold Me Now had a narrow early lead, but began drawing away to win by 1 lengths. Long shot: Queen Of Torts. 9. Fast Corredor was off slowly and veering in while never threatening to run seventh and was claimed. Cool Boy Cartel finished second in a good effort and may be the major threat. Backed by Six ran in third place throughout in an improved performance. Long shot: Corona D Lite. 1. Its Simply Magic drops in class after finishing fourth. Kn Have A Cocktail was bumped at the start and didn’t keep up at the end while finishing in fourth place. Cattos Cocktail battled for the lead throughout and was caught in the final stride to lose by a nose. Long shot: Cly Corona. 2. Golden Charmer was second all the way into the stretch, then took over to win for the second straight time. Piedra Dancer finished second after winning the previous encounter. Dixie Brew was second the entire trip while making up some ground while failing to improve his position. Long shot: Tiza Royal Cat. Best bet: Dreams Can Fly (8). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! 3. Johnnys Looking Good lost his footing and bumped at the start and settled for sixth place. Mr Premier LV has been idle since September while running sixth and may need an outing. Mud Skipper raced evenly while finishing in fourth position. Long shot: Snowboard. 4. Jolly Dancer raced wide while finishing in fifth place and should improve that position with a class drop. Jennifers Star was fourth most of the way and rallied to get up to second place. Aneela ran second and third in her last two outings and could be a threat with this field. Long shot: Shimmering Colors.
A CO DONEGAL man is set to be given a special award at a ceremony in America this week.Mark Porter is being honored with an Irish Heroes of New England award in recognition of his fundraising efforts to benefit both community organizations and cancer research.Mark has spent the last nine years tirelessly fundraising for local charities in Boston in an effort he hopes will “pay it forward.” In 2005, Porter, received terrible news from his Doctors. He had cancer. With three young children at home, Mark, faced an uncertain future for both him and his family as he battled non Hodgkin’s lymphoma.Thanks to treatment at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, the Irishman successfully beat the disease but since then, Porter, has been on a personal crusade to do what he can for those who need it most.The Quincy based carpenter said: “I went through all the surgery, chemo-therapy and recovery and thankfully came out the other side of it. I was able to beat it thanks to the research that had been done prior to my sickness, my wife had a husband, my children had their father…but I had no-one to thank for it [the research]…“I told myself at the point that when I got better… I was going to be that person that helped a father, a mother, a son or a daughter, a family. I wanted to invest in the future of my family, of my friends families and anyone else that might need it, knowing that every little that I do to help…helps!” Since being given a clean bill of health, the Donegal native has spent his time fundraising by whatever means possible. His efforts include running nine consecutive Boston Marathons, as well as taking part in numerous fundraisers along with organizing the popular annual charity boxing event, Battle at the Bay, which is now in it’s fourth year. For his efforts, the Irishman has raised over $300,000 for local cancer charities.“To raise that amount of money is phenomenal but that is a community effort,” he said, “I could not raise that money without the support of the people of Boston and for that I am very grateful.”However, Porter, wanted to do more.In 2012, he co-founded the Let’s Stop Cancer Foundation (LSC), an organization set up to help individuals diagnosed with cancer and their families meet the practical needs of rent, mortgage, food, bills, insurance and anything else that will help ease their worry during this stressful time.Said Mark: “When a family member is going through a sickness, all the focus needs to be on them, not on small everyday household issues. Our organization is there to help ease that pressure on the family by helping in whatever we can. Paying bills, food shopping, organizing babysitters, ….whatever is needed to help that family during this difficult time, we have them covered.” Further adding “These type of small efforts go a long way in helping these families,”The cancer survivor admits “Our success as a non-profit is being built on the misfortune of others but it is a foundation that is truly needed. All the families that have received our help are very grateful to have some one there with a helping hand when they need it most and that makes it all worthwhile”“My hope is that there will be less and less need for our organization or others like us, I hope people don’t have to suffer financially whilst suffering health wise. Until then, LSC will be there to give our full support to individuals and families who need us in their darkest hours.”For more information on the foundation, visit www.lscnow.org DONEGAL MAN GIVEN ‘HERO’ AWARD FOR TIRELESS CHARITY WORK IN AMERICA was last modified: December 1st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:awardbostondonegalMark Porter
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals “We’re not through yet,” Debbie Salter said. For these women, shopping together early on the day after Thanksgiving is a family tradition. “We come out every year and look for the best deals and wait in line,” Debbie Satler said. Flora Moore started out shopping at the mall’s J.C. Penney store with cousin Tanysha Simmons at 6 a.m. Moore of Pacoima and Simmons, serving in the military in San Diego, were in Palmdale visiting family for Thanksgiving. By midmorning, they were carrying shopping bags of clothing and other presents for family and friends. PALMDALE – Antelope Valley shoppers lined up before dawn Friday outside stores to snap up televisions, DVD players, Xbox 360 game systems, clothing and toys. Early bird shoppers lined up outside the Palmdale Best Buy store and hundreds of people waited at Wal-Mart stores and the Antelope Valley Mall. “It’s not fun,” said one harried shopper. Rosamond residents Debbie Salter, her daughter Jennifer, sister-in-law Kelly Enk and mother Barbara Enk started at 4:30 a.m. at the west Lancaster Wal-Mart and within five hours had hit Linens ‘n Things, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target and the Antelope Valley Mall in Palmdale. “It was crowded,” Moore said. Antelope Valley Mall executives expect sales to be up about 3 percent or 3 percent from last year, in line with expectations nationwide for the shopping center industry. Antelope Valley Mall serves a fast-growing area, but it also has competitors spring up in shopping centers around it, including Los Angeles County’s first Wal-Mart Supercenter, open for its first Christmas. “We feel its safe to say at least a 3 percent increase,” Antelope Valley Mall spokeswoman Diana Fiore said. Popular purchases are expected to include MP3 players, the Xbox 360, wrap-style dresses and handbags of different styles and colors, Fiore said. “We definitely know that apparel and accessories are always a hot item, as well as electronics,” Fiore said. At the Palmdale Wal-Mart Supercenter, people lined up to buy 50 laptop computers on sale at $377. First in line was a woman who had arrived at 7 p.m. Thanksgiving night and waited 10 hours for the sale to start. “We sold them all in about four minutes,” manager Mike Blackmon said. The Supercenter drew more shoppers than was usual for Black Friday at the smaller west Palmdale Wal-Mart it replaced last summer, Blackmon said. “It went really well; it was very very busy,” Blackmon said. “It was kind of exciting.” Charles F. Bostwick, (661) 267-5742 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
This was the horrific scene as one of two once beautiful stags lay butchered in a Co Donegal field yesterday.One of the stags was shot just a couple of hundred yards form a house in Laghey.The two animals were shot and abandoned by poachers in Laghey.People living nearby heard the shots and went to investigate. When they did they found vehicles in the area.The startled poachers jumped into their vehicles and managed to get away.However some vital information on the movement of the vehicles has now been passed onto Gardai and the wildlife services.The two stags were found dead in the same field.Hunting stags is now illegal after the season closed in December. However the season is still open in the North and the stags can easily be sold on there.A member of the public who came across the dead stags said “It was just a horrific sight. To see these two magnificent creatures just lying there dead for no reason just made me sick.“Only for the fact that people heard the gunshots and went to investigate, the stags would have been taken away and sold on.” SHOCK AS STAGS FOUND SHOT AND DUMPED IN DONEGAL COUNTRYSIDE was last modified: February 20th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalLagheypoachersshotstags
The Raiders reportedly put in an unsuccessful waiver claim for safety D.J. Swearinger after he was released by Jon Gruden’s brother for publicly criticizing one of his coaches.Three teams put in a claim for Swearinger, according to ESPN’s Field Yates, and the Pro Bowl alternate was awarded to the Cardinals. Both the Raiders and Packers also attempted to add Swearinger, but teams with the worst records get top waiver priority and Arizona has an NFL-worst 3-12 record.Source: the Raiders and …
Brand South Africa sends condolences to those who have lost loved ones in Knysna fires.Brand South Africa’s Chief Executive Officer, Dr Kingsley Makhubela says, “We send our deepest condolences to families who have lost members in the tragedy.”Johannesburg, Thursday 08 June 2017 – The Western Cape Province is tackling massive wild fires in the Knysna area and after overcoming rain storms in the city which left thousands of local residents displaced. Although the storms have subsided the wild fires continue to cause havoc and a number of homes have already been burned down with over 10 000 residents being evacuated.According to reports the fire in Knysna is the largest and most destructive fire in a built up area in the Western Cape. The National Disaster Centre and the SANDF are working on controlling in putting out the fire.Brand South Africa’s Chief Executive Officer, Dr Kingsley Makhubela said, “We send our deepest condolences to families who have lost members in the tragedy. Brand South Africa is working closely with the Gift of the Givers in providing humanitarian support in the form of food, water, shelter. Now more than ever it is important for citizens to unite and play their part by assisting in any way they can”.“The first delivery of bottled water destined for Cape Town is now re-routed to Knysna and is a few hours away from the town. Contributions in cash and kind for the Western Cape areas will be accepted”, said Mr Sooliman from Gift of the Givers.Cash contributions can be made into the Gift of the Givers account, Standard Bank, Pietermaritzburg, Account number 052137228, Branch Code 057525Please send deposit slip to firstname.lastname@example.orgA section 18A tax certificates will be issued on request. For more details call toll-free on 0800786911.