General manager of the Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA), Pat Garel, said yesterday that the absence of clubs at the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) weekly press conference is “unacceptable’ and would not be “tolerated” in the future. Humble Lion FC and Waterhouse FC failed to send representatives to yesterday’s mandatory function. The Clarendon-based Humble Lion did not show, while Waterhouse’s manager turned up after the briefing was over. “It is embarrassing for the no-show of the clubs as the weekly press conference is mandatory. We will have to do something about it moving forward,” Garel told The Gleaner during the press conference at Red Stripe yesterday. “This can’t be tolerated and is unacceptable. The clubs that are selected to be in attendance were sent emails for them to be there two days prior to the holding of the press conference” she said. Struggling Waterhouse are scheduled to host Maverley-Hughenden FC in the feature game to be televised live on Television Jamaica (TVJ) on Sunday. “The absence of Waterhouse is really unacceptable as their game is a live television one. The sponsors won’t be pleased,” she asserted. Garel also claimed that she contacted an official of the Waterhouse club before the 10 a.m. start of the press conference and she was told that the manager and two players would be in attendance. Waterhouse’s manager, Doreen Thompson, who turned up an the end of the briefing, said she was informed very late. “I was informed late by the coach (Marvin Tate). I’m not a person who normally shows up late (for any function),” Thompson informed The Gleaner. In the case of Humble Lion, the club’s secretary, Daphne Taylor, said assistant coach Lenworth Gordon and captain Wolry Wolfe should have been the representatives. “We sent the assistant coach and Wolry Wolfe. At the moment, we don’t know why they did not turn up,” Taylor said when contacted. The other four clubs who were scheduled to attend the briefing – Maverley-Hughenden, Jamalco, Harbour View and Tivoli Gardens – were represented.
A security guard stationed at the Education Ministry’s building that houses the Department of Culture, Youth and Sport in Berbice was on Saturday tied up and robbed.The 37-year-old man is employed with Integrated Security Service which is contracted by Government to secure public buildings.Reports are at about 03:15h on Saturday morning; Gansham Rai was in the guard hut, at the Vrymen’s Erven, New Amsterdam location, when a man pointed a gun at him. In an effort to subdue the guard, the bandits took Rai’s shirt and tied his hands behind his back.According to Rai, there were three men: one armed with a gun and the other two with cutlasses. He said the men demanded he hand over his phone. The bandits also relieved him of $1200, a knife and a flashlight.After relieving Rai of the items, one of the men proceeded into a classroom on the lower flat of the school. As the men were ransacking the classroom which stored materials for the school’s workshop programme, Rai managed to free himself.The Police was called but by time they arrived, the men had already escaped. The cutlasses were found in the classroom.An investigation has been launched.