De Burgos: “Mateu Lahoz is a national and European benchmark”

first_imgWe have to be prepared in case we have to whistle almost every 72 hours and avoid injury. Both the referees and the players. We are all athletes and the physical demand is very high. None of us will have the same physical form when we return. It is like when you are injured and you return to the field, you can be well but you do not have that competition tone.The League will surely resume behind closed doors.Like the whole world of football, I think the more spectators there are, the better. You live differently.How can arbitration be improved?Not that I consider myself a footballer, but I think like them. It would humanize the figure of the referee with the player. Be closer without losing, of course, authority. There are moments when everyone knows where to be. We cannot allow disrespect. But sometimes you have to empathize with certain situations. It is a very important aspect also for reading the game.Mateu stands out a little for that, he is one of the ones who talks the most to the players.Mateu is an excellent referee. It is at an extraordinary level and is a benchmark at national and European level. We have great referees, like Del Cerro and Gil Manzano. They are elite referees. Each with its personality. We all have good things to contribute to others and also defects.The new rule of hands is controversial. There will be those who shoot at them to get a penalty.We will have to be prepared if that happens to see if it is a voluntary action and if it meets the requirements to be called. We have no other choice. My President has said it, it is a complex matter and with so many interpretations that it will be very difficult to put everyone in agreement.Her father was a referee.To be realistic, he was not very funny that I continued on his way. It was my debut, a Levante-Celta, and he had to leave to rest from his nerves. He doesn’t see me on TV and after every game I call him to tell him that everything has gone well. He is very nervous. Ricardo De Burgos Bengoetxea, international referee, attends AS from his home, where he spends the quarantine with special care, since he was the last referee to whistle Espanyol, with several positives in his squad.How are you living this state of alarm?It is an uncomfortable, exceptional situation and we have to adapt. Obligations must be met and prohibitions respected in order to return to normal life as soon as possible. In my 34 years of life I had never experienced this situation. Now the important thing is the health of people and those who are risking their lives to end this situation. They are true heroes.He was the last to whistle for Espanyol and a week later there were several positives for coronavirus.I hope they recover soon and there are no serious consequences. Those of the arbitration quartet that were there have had no symptoms. I am at home with my family, with my son and my wife, who is about to give birth. We are taking great care of her.Despite the halt and precautions, they continue to train individually. And the Arbitration Committee is attentive to its form.They send us protocols to follow and who to report having symptoms. They are concerned about our physical condition as there are restrictions when it comes to training. Luckily, I have a strength machine and a spinning bike so I don’t lose fitness with cardio.Do they control their weight?We have to report how we have slept, how much we weigh, what pulsations we have when we get up … These are questions to draw conclusions at a medical level and improve.And on a theoretical level?We have an online platform and we continue with talks to improve our performances in the field and in the VOR. It is used to analyze the plays that happen every day and exceptional situations. We see, analyze and discuss them. They put us exams of the rules of the game and video analysis.Will you be in a position to be able to referee after so long standing?last_img read more

Read more


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Suspended

first_imgAn unknown man, believed to be in his mid 30s, was allegedly murdered by officers of the Liberian National Police (LNP) during the early morning hours of Saturday, September 28.The man’s killing prompted a violent and angry demonstration from angry young men, who threw stones and other objects at any police officers they could set their eyes on.Their demonstration led to the blocking of the main highway leading from Monrovia to the Roberts International Airport. They were acting on the allegation that officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP) had murdered one of their colleagues.According to some of them, their friend, whom they couldn’t identify by name, had come out early Saturday morning at few minutes past 6 a.m. to begin his “from-hand-to-mouth, daily hustle” when police officers arrested, beat and killed him. They further stated that the police said he (the deceased) had violated the curfew.President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf imposed a curfew in early August from nine p.m. to six a.m. and later reduced it from 11 p.m. to six a.m. According to an eyewitness, who asked that his name be kept secret for fear of his life, said that he was on the scene when the police attacked the deceased and murdered him.This fellow told journalists that when the police officers, who had murdered this young man, noticed that he had seen what they had done, they took after him.“I ran for my life, too. As I was running, I began shouting so that people in the community must get up and see what the police had done.”He further disclosed that while the deceased was alive, he overheard him saying, as he argued with the police: “But look at the time, it’s already 6:10 a.m.; the curfew has already passed so why do you want to arrest me? I can’t give you people my ipad and telephone, I have a lot of personal documents on them.”In a related development, another unknown man had spent two days lying down half dead few feet from where the man was murdered on Saturday morning.This other man is just around the fence of the Isaac A. David High School, adjacent the Liberia Broadcasting System (LBS) main complex. According to one Liberian National Red Cross (LNRC) staff, the man has been there since Saturday, September 27.Our Health Correspondent, who visited the scene late Sunday evening saw personnel of the Liberia National Red Cross and Médécins Sans Frontieres (MSF), who, too, did nothing to rescue him. After a while lurking around, they drove away in their vehicles, leaving the helpless man struggling to take his last breath. It’s not clear if he had been removed up to press time as our correspondent left him lying there by 5:30 p.m., and no one to help him.Workers of the LNRC are tasked with removing ‘Ebola dead’ from community.Meanwhile, Police Spokesperson Sam Collins, in a release Sunday said, “The Liberia National Police has announced with immediate effect the indefinite suspension of seven of its officers pending investigation surrounding the death of an unidentified man at the ELWA Junction, which resulted into pandemonium and road block interrupting the free flow of traffic while on assignment. The suspension of the seven officers took immediate effect from Saturday, September 27, 2014.”According to them, they considered the situation serious, and its Crimes Services Division has immediately launched an investigation into the matter to establish the cause of death.     “The body of the unidentified man has been deposited at a local funeral home, while the police investigation is ongoing. The Police would like to reaffirm its fullest commitment to the rule of law, and called on Liberians and those residing in the country not to take laws into their own hands.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,