Former preschool assistant charged with sex crimes involving children

first_img00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A man who spent nearly a decade working with kids is charged with sex crimes involving children.Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested Andrew Timothy Hodge, 32, last night following a joint investigation with Homeland Security Investigations.- Advertisement – Hodge, of Mt Misery Road, Leland, is charged with four counts of second-degree exploitation of a minor and one count of indecent liberties with a child. According to arrest warrants, the crimes happened between January 1 and September 30, 2017.“Disgusting. It’s sickening. (He’s) someone that probably needs helps and shouldn’t be a member of society,” Chris DeHart said.DeHart’s children attended Leland Christian Academy, where Hodge was a teacher assistant. DeHart said he always had a bad feeling about Hodge.Related Article: Man goes to prison for trying to meet Pender County girl for sex“Even the thought of someone doing something like that with my little girl. Oh man, I wasn’t surprised, though. I was shocked at first, then I was scared for half a second and then I was kind of like I told you so,” DeHart said.The sexual exploitation charges include photos of an unclothed, unknown girl between the ages of 8 and 10.He’s also accused of trying to commit a “lewd and lascivious act” on a child under the age of 16.“A sin is a sin. And I think there is no worse sin then to do anything remotely inappropriately to a child. To think inappropriately about a child is still a sin without even doing it,” DeHart said.Hodge worked for several years as a TA at Leland Christian Academy, before leaving last year.Leland Christina Academy Director Jill Barbee issued this statement this afternoon:“We at Leland Christian Academy and First Baptist Church are deeply saddened to learn of these allegations. The safety and security of our students have always been our first priority. All that we can confirm at this point is that Mr. Andrew Hodge was an employee of Leland Christian Academy, but left the school in August of 2017 to pursue other interests.“The school has a rigorous screening process in place for individuals working with the children and Mr. Hodge passed each of these criteria, including background checks every three years, the most recent being in July of 2015. There had been no allegations or complaints lodged against Mr. Hodge by parents or staff during his time here, and we are heartbroken to hear of these charges.”According to Hodge’s Facebook page, he previously worked for Southeastern Preschool Educational Center (SPEC) in Wilmington. The director of the SPEC on Vision Drive confirms Hodge worked there three different times between 2008 and 2013. She was unaware if there had been any complaints lodged against Hodge. She was also not aware of the charges when reached by phone this morning.Hodge did not say anything about the accusations against him during his first court appearance today. The judge kept Hodge’s bond at $1 million and appointed a public defender. Hodge remains in the Brunswick County Detention Center.DeHart believes Hodge needs to remain behind bars.“He’s sick and he needs help. And if for some reason he gets off, he needs to move far far away from this area cause if not, people will be looking for him. I promise you that,” DeHart said.Hodge is scheduled to be back in court next week.last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Carolina Beach restaurant raises money for UNC Charlotte hero

first_imgSoul Flavor Kitchen and Bar fundraiser (Photo: Kelsie Anderson) Carolina Beach (WWAY)–Last week a UNC Charlotte student took a bullet for his peers. His heroic act has left a mark on many communities.Riley Howell tackled the alleged shooter and was fatally shot during the altercation.- Advertisement – Soul Flavor Kitchen and Bar in Carolina Beach wanted to help support Howell’s family in this tragic time while also opening up a meaningful conversation on gun violence. Restaurant owner, Mimi Mowery, believes that students, teachers, and faculty should feel safe in school and that something like this should never happen again.“We felt like we’ve been talking about this situation, this crisis, that’s taking place, its gun violence,” Mowery said. “For years now, it’s been troubling me, so this particular story made us realize there is something we could do in terms of raising funds for the victim who has actually become an American hero.”Mowery says the turn out was incredible and yesterday’s event raised over $8,500 and every cent will go to the Howell family.last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Watch Pope Francis leads the Via Crucis at the Colosseum

first_img SharePrint This evening at the Colosseum in Rome, Pope Francis leads the Way of the Cross, also known as the Via Crucis.This year’s reflections were prepared by Sr Eugenia Bonetti, a missionary and the President of the association Slaves no more.The 14 stations highlight the victims of human trafficking, minors who are bought and sold, prostitutes and migrants.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Watch 34 new soldiers join the Armed Forces of Malta

first_imgFive females and seven Gozitans are amongst the 34 new soldiers that have been inducted in the Armed Forces of Malta. The recruitment process started back in November 2018 and during the past months, the recruits were instructed on how to use weapons, physical education as well as other subjects.Chris Cardona won the Best Recruit Shield.Armed Forces of Malta Passing Out Parade for Recruit Intake 182-AFM Luqa Barracks, Luqa-29-4-19During his address to the recruits, Minister Michael Farrugia said that they are now part of the Armed Forces family and that their work is important for the security and wellbeing of the Maltese nation. The minister also lauded the Armed Forces of Malta during the  El Hiblu1 incident and added that he feels honoured to have received so much appreciation from foreign ministers and ambassadors for the army’s outstanding job on the matter.WhatsApp SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Watch Delia has a right to appeal – Muscat

first_imgFollowing the decision taken by the Constitutional Court, the Leader of Partit Laburista Joseph Muscat has stated that the Leader of the Opposition Adrian Delia has a right to appeal. The Court denied Delia’s request to have access to a copy of the magisterial inquiry regarding the third company in Panama, Egrant. Muscat insisted that it is his intention to publish the full report as soon as possible.Updated: PN leader to appeal Egrant court decision; fulfill duty as ‘public watchdog’During a political activity held in Luqa, Muscat stressed that if the Court’s decision had taken a different ruling, Delia wouldn’t have appealed. He insisted that it is Delia’s right to appeal the decision, and that Partit Laburista does not object to this appeal. Read: PL and PN react to Court decisionEven though the parts which have already been published are clear, said Muscat, the style that the report is written in cannot change the conclusions which have already been reported. The main conclusions of the report regarding Egrant were published on the 22nd July, 2018. Magistrate Aaron Bugeja had concluded the magisterial inquiry after Muscat had requested the same inquiry on himself.Muscat said that he is determined that the report is published as soon as possible, as advised by the General Council. However, the Council advised that hurrying up the process might also disrupt the investigations.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrintlast_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Graffitti to host Protest against the Dictatorship of the developers

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> Activist group, Moviment Graffitti has announced that in light of the recent incidents of houses collapsing due to construction work, they are organizing a protest to express anger against  the Dictatorship of Malta’s developers.In their statement, Graffitti said that the protest will be held on Tuesday 18 June and will start from near St. Luke’s Hospital in Gwardamangia at 6pm and end outside the MDA headquarters, ‘to protest the arrogance of Sandro Chetcuti’s lobby.’MDA “shocked” after yet another construction blunderThey state that they have long warned about this situation, stressing that developers can no longer do as they please at the expense of residents who are faced with noise, dust, closed roads, cranes, illegal waste disposal, hazards and “the arrogance of unscrupulous developers” on a daily basis. They claim that all of this is done with the blessing of the Planning Authority.Added to this, they state that with such recent incidents and media pressure, the government has now begun to address this problem “that has spread out of control”.Their protest comes in the wake of a number of very recent building collapses in Malta in Pieta and Mellieha.The Prime Minister Joseph Muscat announced on Thursday that demolition and excavation permits would be suspended until further notice.Miguela Xuereb – Pieta – Thursday 13th JuneRead more:Updated: Demolition and excavation permits suspended until further notice – MuscatUpdate 2: Mellieħa: Should membership of the new construction regulator be mandatory?Current construction regulations ‘outdated’ and ‘inadequate’ – KTP PresidentProcess of establishing building and construction regulator ongoing – Minister BorgPhoto by Branko Stoilov – Mellieha – 8th JuneUrgent demandsMoviment Graffitti outlines a list of urgent demands in order to safeguard the safety of residents around Malta, who are now scared of staying in their own homes:An end to the boundless arrogance and bullying of developers on residents;A limit to permits issued by the various authorities and an end to the laissez-faire in the planning sector;A restriction on the hours in which construction and excavation works can be carried out, and a limit on the number of road closures and parking slots stolen from residents;A law that imposes decent standards to safeguard the residents’ health and safety in areas close to construction sites;A serious enforcement of the laws regulating construction, to give, without exception, protection and dignity to workers and residents alike;That responsibility is taken for the permanent deformation of our islands, particularly when such incidents are involved: so far, nobody has taken responsibility for any of these accidents.Photo by Miguela Xuereb – 24th April“We agree that the geological and geo-technical surveys made mandatory” – FAAIn a statement from Flimkien għal Ambjent Aħjar, claims that the Prime Minister’s decision to temporarily suspend the demolition and excavation was too late. Despite this, they welcomed the proposal for making geological and geo-technical surveys mandatory for all excavation work.The FAA also questioned whether to begin introducing tests on concrete durability believing that there are many residential buildings being built now which will face major problems in the next 30 or 40 years.The group argued that although the authorities are trying to point fingers at referees, the governments had tried repeatedly to reform the building regulations since 2007. This has also included requests from Kamra Tal-Periti.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Road accident in Ta Sannat leaves motorcyclist with slight injuries

first_imgA van and a motorcycle were involved in a road accident at Ta’ Sannat in Gozo on Monday. The people in the van remained unscathed while the motorcyclist suffered slight injuries.The incident happened at around 12.45 am in Triq is-Salib. The van was being driven by a 51-year-old man from Ta’ Sannat, with a 49-year-old woman as his passenger. The motorcycle was being ridden by a 23-year-old, also from Ta ’Sannat.The three were taken to Gozo General Hospital for a medical review.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrintlast_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 year old suffering grievous injuries following car collision

first_imgA 10 year old boy is currently in suffering grievous injuries following a two-car collision in Mosta. The incident occurred at 12:55pm at Imġarr Road.The collission happened between Volkswagon Golf, being driven by a 71 year old man from Mellieħa, and a Toyota Vitz, being driven by a 71 year old woman also from Mellieħa. The Volkswagon Golf was also carrying a 38 year old man from Greece, a 38 year old woman from Canada, and a four year old girl and a one year old boy both also from Canada. The 10 year old boy was being driven in the Toyota Vitz.An ambulance which was called on site took the 71 year old woman and the 10 year old boy to hospital in order to receive medical attention. The boy was certified to be suffering from severe injuries while the woman is suffering from light injuries.Investigations are being led by the Mosta Local Police.WhatsApp SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Microsoft purchase of Nokias mobile division approved in US

first_imgAdvertisement The United States Federal Trade Commission has approved Microsoft’s purchase of Nokia’s mobile business, with the deal now headed to Europe for approval.Earlier reports in September showed that Nokia’s announcement to sell its Devices & Services section to Microsoft for US$7.36 billion, with the Finnish firm described it as “the best path forward for Nokia and its shareholders”.Nokia shareholders at the company’s Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) last month approved the sale, with more than 99 per cent of votes cast in favour of the deal. – Advertisement – The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of next year, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.Microsoft has been granted a 10-year non-exclusive licence to Nokia’s patents and will itself focus on network infrastructure and services.Nokia’s handset business has been making a loss, and the company will now earn over 90 per cent of its sales from telecommunications equipment division Nokia Services and Networks (NSN).last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-30

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

80000 Teachers in Rwanda to get Laptops through Africa Smart Investments

first_imgAdvertisement Africa Smart Investments Distribution (ASI-D), a lead distributor of ‘Made in Rwanda’ Positivo BGH laptops is targeting to equip 80,000 teachers with laptops through Smart Teacher Initiative.The Smart Teacher Initiative which was officially unveiled yesterday by Prime Minister Anastase Murekezi and Minister for Education Dr. Papias Malimba Musafili, is a creation born out of the partnership between Africa Smart Investments Distribution,Ministry of Education, Rwanda Education Board, UMWALIMU SACCO and Airtel Rwanda.Through this initiative, teachers will be equipped with brand new Positivo BGH laptops across the country, plus an Airtel internet modem loaded with 2 years unlimited internet. – Advertisement – To acquire the laptops and modems, teachers will apply for loans from UMWALIMU SACCO, payable in 24 easy installments (2 years) while paying 13,920 RWF per month Inclusive of Bank Interest.Once the loan is approved, Umwalimu SACCO pays the amount to Africa Smart Investments, and a laptop with a modem loaded with 24 months internet will be delivered to Umwalimu SACCO branch for pickup.“We are excited to empower teachers by equipping them with Positivo BGH Laptops of the latest technology to enable them do their work and we have no doubt that they will deliver efficiently while they prepare content for students using these laptops”,Chairman for Africa Smart Investments-Distribution, Francois Karenzi also commended.Over 90 teachers were offered their laptops yesterday with calls upon the rest of the teachers that have not acquired there laptops to also seize this opportunity to be a part of a smart Rwanda that the country has proved to be.last_img read more

Read more

2019-07-29

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,